Vanillin is a widely used edible fragrance, which can be found in the seeds of vanilla orchids or synthesized artificially, and has a strong milk fragrance. It is widely used in a variety of flavored foods that need to increase the smell of milk, such as cakes, cold drinks, chocolate, candy; it can also be used in soap, toothpaste, perfume, rubber, plastic, pharmaceuticals.
Vanillin was the first fragrance to be synthesized by man, and was successfully synthesized by Dr. M. Harman and Dr. G. Taiman in Germany in 1874. It is usually divided into methyl vanillin and ethyl vanillin.
Methyl vanillin (vanillin), chemical name 3-methoxy-4-hydroxybenzaldehyde, the appearance of white or yellowish crystals, with vanilla aroma and a strong milk fragrance, is the largest species in the fragrance industry, is the main component of the popular cream vanilla flavor. Its use is very wide, such as in the food, cosmetic, tobacco industry as raw materials for incense, flavor enhancer or fixing agent, in which the beverage, candy, pastry, cookies, bread and fried food dosage is mostly. There are no reports that vanillin is harmful to humans.
Ethyl vanillin is a white to slightly yellow needle-like crystalline or crystalline powder with an aroma similar to that of vanilla beans and a stronger aroma than methyl vanillin. It is a broad-spectrum spice, one of the most important synthetic spices in the world today, and an important and indispensable raw material in the food additive industry. Its aroma is 3-4 times that of vanillin, with a strong aroma of vanilla beans and a long-lasting fragrance. It is widely used in food, chocolate, ice cream, beverages and daily cosmetics to enhance and set the fragrance. In addition, ethyl vanillin can also be used as a feed additive, a brightener in electroplating industry and an intermediate in pharmaceutical industry.
Function and Use
Vanillin is an important food flavoring agent, with vanilla bean aroma and strong milk fragrance. It is used as a fragrance enhancer and fragrance fixer in daily cosmetics. Can also be used in soap, toothpaste, perfume, rubber, plastic, pharmaceuticals. It conforms to FCC IV standard.
Vanillin has a wide range of applications in foreign countries. It is widely used in the production of pharmaceutical intermediates, plant growth promoter, fungicide, lubricant defoamer, electroplating brightener, conductive agent in printed circuit board production, etc. In China, vanillin is mainly used in food additives. Domestic vanillin is mainly used as a food additive. In recent years, the application of vanillin in the pharmaceutical field has been broadening, which has become the most potential field of vanillin application. At present, domestic vanillin consumption accounts for 55% of food industry, 30% of pharmaceutical intermediates, 10% of feed seasoning agent and 5% of cosmetics. China is a big vanillin exporter in the world. In 2002, the domestic demand was 2350 tons, accounting for 30% of production, and the remaining 70% was exported. And in 1988
From 1993 to 2002, the average annual growth rate of China’s vanillin export was 12%. Chinese vanillin enjoys good reputation in North America, Europe, Southeast Asia and other markets.
Chinese vanillin has been produced for more than 50 years. Of the original more than 10 production enterprises, most of the small enterprises’ production equipment has been seriously corroded, and they have lost their production capacity due to environmental restrictions. At present, there are three main vanillin production plants in China. Ltd. is a joint venture between France Rhodia and Zhejiang Snow Leopard Fine Chemicals Co. The largest vanillin manufacturer is a joint enterprise formed by the former Shanghai Jiahua Fine Chemical Company, Zhejiang Zhonghua Fine Chemical Group and Shanghai Xinhua Spice Factory, with an annual production capacity of 4,000 tons of vanillin and a new 2,000-ton/year production unit being built; Jihua Group is an early vanillin manufacturer in China, with an annual production capacity of 1,500 tons.
The main manufacturers of vanillin abroad are France Rhodia and Norway Polygon. Among them, France Rhodia is the world’s largest vanillin manufacturer, with an annual production capacity of 8000 tons, with installations in France and the United States; Norway Polygon is the world’s only manufacturer of lignocellulose vanillin, and also produces ethyl vanillin.
FEMA (mg/kg): soft drinks 63; cold drinks 95; candy 200; bakery 220; pudding 120; gumdrops 270; chocolate 970; laminate 150; margarine 0.20; syrup 330-20000.
According to FAO/WHO: The maximum allowable amount of canned baby food and cereals for convenience foods is 70mg/kg (1992).
Vanillin is allowed to be added as a food additive by the state. It will not cause harm to the body if added according to the national standard, but large doses can cause headache, nausea, vomiting, breathing difficulties, and even liver and kidney damage.